Triple Recipe - Devils Food Cake!

Monday, April 12, 2010



Devils Food Cake


I cant think of anything better to satisfy a sweet tooth other then cake, and chocolate cake at that. While I am typically used to Magnolia Bakery's recipe that uses whole chocolate and buttermilk to produce a slightly dense, but moist chocolate cake, King Arthur Flour's Baker's Companion boasts a recipe with common ingredients that's easy to whip up at the last minute notice of company coming over - or a quick birthday surprise.

I made mine in 2 large round cake pans - and a small tip for those baking chocolate goods - Use cocoa powder instead of flour when greasing and flouring your pan - it will not leave the white residue on your dark chocolate cake.


Peanut Butter Frosting


My dad has always loved the "funny bone" - a packaged processed cake primarily sold in the northeast - chocolate cake, peanut butter filling, and chocolate topping. He had been asking me to re-create this for some time, so now that I have my chocolate cake finished, this was the perfect opportunity to attempt to re-create it.

This was easy - beyond easy. Almost like a basic butter cream with peanut butter instead of the regular butter. The results were addicting. It was hard not to lick the bowl as the cake cooled. It was sweet, but not overly sweet like a reese cup - just sweet enough, but you could still taste peanut butter.

Milk Chocolate Glaze

The final touch - a simple glaze to go on top and finish the cake off. The recipe told me to use semi-sweet chocolate, and heavy cream, but i didn't have any on hand. Milk chocolate, corn syrup, and regular milk would have to do.

It was still delicious and finished off the cake nicely, but I will definitely be making this glaze again for something else. I imagine using the right ingredients this recipe is out of this world.

0 comments: